Friday, February 2, 2007

Meditation

Meditation

As the days go by
And I continue to fail
My mind makes excuses
But now to no avail
For I know what I am
Something I can no longer veil
Too long has my soul suffered
Endless nights of prolonged wails
Screaming for love
Screaming for care

I must ask my mind
As I sit in this chair
Why do you think
That you are something rare?
Why do you continue
With this knotted hair?
Why do you live
A life filled with dares?
Why do you dream
To affect world affairs?
Why do you write
When you are nothing fair?

As I sit here and keep reflecting on my life
Questions, questions, and more questions come to mind
How easy it would be to just take a knife
One perfect stab and leave everything behind
How easy to justify when mind feels in strife
And never realize how much you are blind
Never see how much your life is rife
Rife with blessings of every single kind

Blessed with two eyes
Blessed with two feet
Blessed with this body
What else could I possibly need?
The more I reflect
The more I come to believe
That even though I meditate
My mind has yet to be set free

My mind has been trapped
With this endless game
That runs in a circle
Till it has been tamed
But to tame this thing
Is like taming a flame
Have to carefully handle it
Could bring a life of fame or a life of shame
It’s all about how I hunt
This game; and look carefully where I aim
It is so clever it could get me maimed
Because it resides with in me and without me
It has the capability to set me aflame
Sounds crazy doesn't it? Or even lame
But trust me playing this game
Is like being inside a frame
It easy to look without
Harder to look within
And see that for all this chaos
In your life; noone but you are to blame

So I must continue to sit, sit and meditate
Slowly slowly to a higher level make my mind levitate
Meditate on the questions that began this inner quest
And answer the questions with a zealous zest

I must conquer my mind
If I am to become something rare
I must conquer my mind
If I wish to face dares
I must conquer my mind
If I want to affect world affairs
I must conquer my mind
If I am to write or be anything fair
I must conquer my mind
If I am to be a Sikh and keep this knotted hair
I must conquer my mind
Because the One I Love doesn't want my flair
The One I Love wants me to be meritorious of my Prayer

- Sevak -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

y did u change the quote by guru gobind singh ji? "When all other means have failed it is but righteous to draw the sword." isnt it disrespectful to change guru ji's words?

Sevak said...

We aren't questioning Guru Sahib here or anything, that would just be plain wrong; just changed a few words in the quote to represent how we are "drawing the sword", because this is where our talent lies and this is how "we draw our sword"...with our lyrical talent with a mic...